Thursday 27 September 2012


The Girl You Left Behind – Jojo Moyes
Publishing date:27th September 2012
Publisher: Penguin.

4 stars
This is a compelling novel, the tale of two women separated by a century but united in their resolution to fight for what they love and believe in.
It wasn’t what I expected, usually steering clear of war-time novels. However I am so glad I reviewed this. There is nothing better than being pulled into a story, an alternative reality, breathing alongside the characters, emotions rising and falling with the rise and fall of their fortunes. Jojo Moyes does this extremely well and I now want to read all her other books.
I enjoyed the contrasting tales, war torn France, modern day London. I was enthralled by the detective work which kept me guessing until the end. The characters were well drawn, the descriptions authentic, the language rich and neatly written. No superfluous gunk here. I really couldn’t put this book down. The message left in my mind was that across time and nationality, possessions are meaningless. Life is nothing without love and family.

No comments:

Post a Comment